Security and Data Integrity
Our customers include some of the most security-conscious organizations. Why do they choose Panzura? Security and data integrity are fundamental principles of our file system design, and we are FIPS 140-2 certified.
We believe that if you’re using the cloud for storage, you need robust security both when the data is at rest in the cloud and when it’s on the move. When you connect your enterprise to the cloud, you should make sure your cloud provider has strong security measures and is FIPS 140-2 certified — but you shouldn’t rely on their encryption and security measures alone.
You should maintain control of the encryption keys for your data, so even someone with physical access to the data at the cloud provider’s datacenter(s) can’t read it. With Panzura, the person who has physical access doesn’t know where the data itself is stored; and the person who knows where the data is doesn’t have physical access to the system.
Our Distributed Cloud File System (DCFS) offers what we call a “two subpoena solution.” For instance, if your cloud provider has to respond to a subpoena (or worse yet, is breached), you are protected as you maintain full control over the encryption keys with Panzura. Therefore, Law enforcement would need to subpoena your company as well as the cloud provider in order to gain access to the data.
The Panzura DCFS has many of these features that secure the file system and all of the data on it, including:
- FIPS 140-2 certification, meeting security requirements for government agencies and regulated industries.
- Data at rest is encrypted using AES 256-bit algorithms.
- Data in transit is encrypted using TLS 1.2.
- Strong, standards-based authentication methods for file access.
- Secure access to Panzura’s administration tools.
- Data is deduplicated and compressed before it’s sent to the cloud, providing an additional layer of security by obfuscating the data.
IT environments subject to strict data security classification and management often require the ability to securely remove all traces of highly sensitive files. Secure Erase, an optional feature of the Panzura DCFS, makes it possible to delete a file or folder so that the contents cannot be restored, even using the most advanced technology available.
The Secure Erase capability:
- Removes all versions of specified files and folders from the Panzura Freedom Flash Cache appliances and the associated objects stored in the cloud.
- All data is securely erased and replaced with zeros.
- Is the highest purge level that can be attained without physically destroying the disk drives
- Meets the NIST standards for purging data.
- Can be used with any supported cloud provider.
NEXT: Read more about Integrated Snapshots, Backup, and DR.