There’s a common misperception that cloud is just for backup and disaster recovery (DR). With Panzura, the cloud becomes your primary file storage, and also provides integrated backup, DR, archiving and point-in-time file retrieval with snapshots at the file system level. Everything is protected in the cloud, with redundancy architected into the cloud storage solutions we support.
Backup and Disaster Recovery
In a typical distributed environment, backup and DR have to be done at each site. Since Panzura’s Distributed Cloud File System uses the cloud as an authoritative data source, it lets you consolidate all of your file backup, DR, and archiving into the cloud. Here’s how it works:
- Cached files on each Freedom Flash Cache appliance are continuously synced with the cloud (using your choice of provider).
- Cloud providers use redundant copies of data and multiple data centers to architect system durability in to their service, so your data is always recoverable.
- Your data is already stored off-site across multiple sites, so you don’t have to worry about tape backups.
- Panzura’s snapshots provide point-in-time recovery for as long as you need it.
Snapshots in a Global World
Our snapshot technology is at the core of our distributed file system and its file locking architecture. Global snapshots are far more efficient and easier to manage than the typical volume-level snapshot you find in many file systems.
So, how do Panzura’s snapshots work?
- Snapshots are taken at the Freedom Flash Cache appliance level based on a user-defined schedule. It can be as often as every second.
- The Freedom Flash Cache appliance replicate snapshots to the cloud every 60 seconds by default.
- Configurable retention policies let you keep snapshots as long as you need them. We’ve tested support for up to 10,000 global snapshots — the equivalent of 1 a day for 27 years.
- Snapshots are done using redirect on write, which means there’s no I/O impact since data blocks are never overwritten for new snapshots.
You can learn more about snapshots in our whitepaper on Distributed File Locking.
NEXT: Read more about our Solutions.