Companies in industries such as Oil and Gas, and Media and Entertainment need to transfer large, high-value files between global locations to generate revenue. Synchronizing or replicating these large files between global offices isn’t easy, however. Even as network bandwidth increases, data storage is expected to grow 800% over the next five years. Traditional solutions designed for peer-to-peer replication or disaster recovery can take hours to copy large files, leaving otherwise productive employees waiting for critical files to arrive. IT infrastructure is also complex and costly. Each office needs its local storage, replication solution, WAN accelerators, on-site backup, and often off-site tape backup. You end up buying capacity well ahead of when you need it, and costs multiply across sites.
What if there was a better way that gave you the economics of cloud, but also allows you to synchronize large files quickly and put data close to the users when they need it?
Large File Distribution
Panzura lets you solve the large file distribution challenge.
Panzura centralizes all the file data in all tiers across your offices and gives you a single, consistent file system that can span the globe. Data is replicated efficiently between sites using our intelligent global deduplication and caching. Even 10GB+ files can be distributed across a global network in just a few minutes.
There’s no workflow change for users, either. Panzura looks just like a local Windows filer, but is backed by a central cloud data repository and can span hundreds of sites. It’s simpler, faster, and less expensive than deploying primary, backup, and archive storage at each site, and running replication software over private networks.
By using public or private cloud storage, you can consolidate and simplify infrastructure significantly. The Panzura Hybrid NAS solution gives you several benefits:
- Distribute large files in minutes. Panzura’s global deduplication and compression only send new unique blocks of data over the network. It also leverages the cloud as a distribution point, so files flow in parallel to multiple offices around the world. File distribution can be up to 100 times faster. No more waiting hours for replication to happen.
- Eliminate inefficient local NAS and file servers at each office. Panzura turns your choice of public or private cloud storage into a giant “NAS in the sky” and makes it the authoritative source for all your file data, while files feel like they’re local for every user.
- No more costly and complex replication solutions. Panzura synchronizes and distributes files automatically, eliminating the need for specialized replication software and expensive NAS systems at each site.
- Built-in backup and disaster recovery. Cloud providers like Amazon and Microsoft automatically backup and archive data, so you can consolidate backup and tape archive operations from multiple sites to the cloud. Panzura also uses the cloud as the authoritative data source, and since cloud providers use redundant copies of data and multiple data centers to architect system durability into their service, your data is always recoverable.
- Pay-as-you-go. With cloud, you only pay your cloud provider for the storage you need, so you can take advantage off the falling price of cloud storage and instantly scale your cloud instance to best suit your data needs.
Large File Distribution features include:
- One-to-many site distribution. Most replication solutions enable one-to-one replication and have to daisy chain sites to accomplish one-to-many. Panzura provides a one-to-many file distribution solution
- Global deduplication. Data is deduplicated across the entire file system so each unique block is only stored once, and only unique change blocks are sent over the network. That means much more efficient storage, more room for files, less data sent over your network, and best of all — lower total storage costs.
- Global metadata. Each site immediately has a copy of the metadata for every file, so every location has a full view of all files and what data is missing for each file at that site.
- Global namespace. To work properly as a namespace across sites and the cloud, the GFS maintains consistent metadata and file locks across all of the distributed nodes.
- WAN bandwidth controls. Administrators can schedule and throttle how much bandwidth is used for file distribution at each site.
- Fast throughput for multi-site file distribution. Panzura uses the full asymmetric advantages of the network and uses the full available bandwidth at each site, making global transfers more efficient. Rather than defaulting to the lowest common denominator on the network, file transfers use the available bandwidth between each site and the cloud. File distribution is never constrained by one site — it flows to the cloud directly, and from the cloud to each site.
- Optimized cloud connectivity. By using the network much more efficiently, Panzura eliminates the need for costly MPLS connections or dedicated direct connections to the cloud, letting you opt for more cost-effective regular internet connections.
You can learn more about Panzura’s technology and features here.
For more in-depth information on High Value Asset Distribution, please check out:
|Big Oil Case Study
Headquartered in the United States, Big Oil Company (BOC) is high on the Fortune 500 listing, with revenues exceeding several billion dollars. For oil and gas producing companies like BOC, the ability to execute on a global scale brings with it significant challenges. With Panzura, BOC saw immediate results such as unlimited storage, faster database dumps to the cloud, consolidation of data, and multi-million dollars of savings a year.