Panzura Freedom Collaboration™ transforms cloud storage, public or private, into a high-performance, globally distributed file system. The Panzura Distributed Cloud File System looks and behaves just like a local, locking NAS or Windows filer to users, but is backed by a central cloud data repository and can span hundreds of sites. It’s simpler, faster and less expensive than deploying primary, backup, and archive storage at each site, and running WAN optimization over private networks.
Applications that were developed to work on a LAN now work just as well across globally distributed office locations connected via a WAN. Panzura’s patented distributed file locking overcomes the effect of latency between offices, eliminating delays in opening or synchronizing files using technical applications like CAD, BIM, or PDM.
This gives users LAN-like performance at every office, even though users are all accessing the same centralized files — no matter where the users are based. Users in different offices around the world can collaborate like they’re in the same room on the same files and applications at the same time.
Freedom Collaboration is similar to Freedom NAS, but each site has read and write privileges on the distributed file system. Like all other Freedom products, Freedom Collaboration runs on the Panzura Freedom Flash Cache appliances and connects to public or private cloud storage of your choice.
Freedom Collaboration provides several benefits:
- Enabling globally distributed teams to work as one. Distributed file locking, global deduplication, and a global namespace remove the effect of latency and chattiness on applications such as CAD, BIM, and PDM.
- Eliminating temporary or permanent relocation of teams. Since any employee can work on any project from any office, there is no need to relocate employees to remote offices for projects, whether temporarily or permanently.
- Eliminate inefficient local NAS and file servers at each office. Panzura turns your choice of public or private cloud storage into a giant “NAS in the sky” and makes it the authoritative source for all your file data, while files feel like they’re local for every user.
- Remove local backups or cumbersome tapes. Cloud providers like Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure have 11 nines of durability and are architected with redundancy to withstand the loss of two datacenters without data interruption, so you can consolidate backup and tape archive operations to the cloud.
- Pay-as-you-go. With cloud, you only pay your cloud provider for the storage you need, so you can take advantage of the falling price of cloud storage, and immediately scale your cloud instance to best suit your data needs.
Freedom Collaboration features include:
- Distributed file and element locking. Part of Freedom Collaboration’s magic is distributed file locking. It lets users from New York, Paris, and London all work together like they’re in the same room.
- File integrity everywhere. Distributed file locking also makes sure files are locked when they’re in use so you don’t have to worry about corrupt files or managing different versions.
- Global metadata. Each Flash Cache has a copy of the metadata for every file in the distributed file system, making file access and locking fast for every user.
- Intelligent caching. Active data is cached on each Flash Cache, speeding up performance when users access data.
- Cloud-backed. Freedom Collaboration connects to a public or private cloud of your choice and uses it to store the authoritative copy of all your files.
- All tiers of storage in one. Since all data lives in the cloud, it’s automatically protected by your cloud provider. No more backup, no more tape, no more replication for DR.
- Deduplication and compression. This means much more efficient storage, more room for files, less data sent over your network, and best of all — lower cloud storage costs.
- Fast sync for large files. With Global Deduplication, even multi-gigabyte files synchronize in just a few minutes. Panzura’s patent pending SmartSync technology is the fastest way to move files between sites by transferring the least amount of data possible.
- Global snapshots. We snapshot the entire file system so there’s no need to manage snapshots on a volume or share basis. We support up to 10,000 snapshots, or 1 per day for 27 years.
- Global Namespace. Visibility of all files to all users at all times and no change to use workflows.
- Security that three letter agencies trust. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Justice and NIST, the organization that certifies FIPS. Why? Panzura is FIPS 140-2 certified with AES-256 bit encryption, so your data is secure at rest and in- flight, whether it’s on a local Flash Cache or in the cloud.